The Edith-Russ-Haus for Media Art will award three Grants for Media Art of the Stiftung Niedersachsen (€12,500 each).
The Stiftung Niedersachsen grant at the Edith-Russ-Haus for Media Art supports a wide spectrum of media art, from video art and net-based projects to audio works and audiovisual installations. Each of the three grants will be awarded for the production of a new project in the area of media art.
An international jury will convene to select the grant recipients.
Applicants must register for a user account on this website and submit via online application by 29 February, 2024, 23:59 (CET). Applications submitted after this date cannot be taken into consideration.
The grant is valid for a duration of six months (July–December 2024). It cannot be prolonged and residency is compulsory; grant recipients can expect to stay in Oldenburg at least one month.
- The project or artistic work should be completed within the six-month duration of the grant. However, an extension until the end of February 2025 can be negotiated.
- Only artists may submit an application; institutions are ineligible.
- Unfortunately, it is not possible for students to apply.
- Only one application per person per year is permitted.
- Projects rejected by the Edith-Russ-Haus in previous years cannot be resubmitted. However, artists can always reapply with new projects.
- Both individual artists and artist groups can apply; however, the grant amount is the same for groups as for individuals. For artist groups, the applicant whose name is provided as a contact will be considered responsible for the project.
- On request and by arrangement, a furnished guest apartment is available to grant recipients. It is possible to bring a partner or children, and project collaborators (e.g., sound designers, editors) can also be accommodated by the Edith-Russ-Haus free of charge.
- Grant recipients are expected to be involved in the activities of the Edith-Russ-Haus, including, for example, running workshops and giving presentations and artist talks. The dates of such activities will be arranged in consultation with the Edith-Russ-Haus.
- Beyond the grant amount of €12,500 and the possibility of using one of the guest apartments of the Edith-Russ-Haus, no further costs will be covered during the residency (such as technical means, production means, travel expenses, and living expenses incurred during the grant period).
- A jury consisting of international experts will select the recipients of the grants.
- Only applications submitted through the online application system will be reviewed. Applications sent via post or email, as well as any extra materials received by post or email, will be disregarded and disposed of.
- The application may be submitted in either English or German. For German applications, please also include an English translation of the summary of the application, as the jury will consist of international participants.
- The grant recipients agree to allow the Edith-Russ-Haus to use images of their artworks for publication, archiving, website, and communication and marketing purposes without payment, as long as this use is directly related to the grant program.
- An application is considered accepted when the applicant receives confirmation via email. If the application does not adhere to the prescribed requirements, the applicant will not receive an email confirmation.
- The Edith-Russ-Haus and the jury have the unilateral right to exclude applications that do not conform to the above-listed requirements.
The Edith-Russ-Haus will handle all submitted information with great care. The information and documentation applicants submit will be used only for the purposes of processing their application. Applicants agree to be contacted by the Edith-Russ-Haus via the email address provided in their application. The jury’s decision will be announced online following the selection process. This is expected to take place in mid-June 2024 at latest. Awardees will be notified via email to the addresses provided in their application. No notifications will be sent to applicants who have not been selected. We ask applicants to refrain from any inquiries concerning the completeness of applications or updates on the evaluation process after the deadline. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to answer these questions.
Your project outline should include the following information:
- Comprehensive description of the project (depending on the project, this may include, for example, an installation plan, storyboard, navigation plan, etc.)
- Technical means and materials
- Production schedule
- Rough budget showing the financial feasibility of the project
- For projects that require additional funding, a financing plan must be submitted, showing: the grant monies, any self-contributions, third-party funds (to be applied for/applied for/secured). If unsecured third-party funding is required, explain how the project can be realized without this funding.
Please submit documentation online; individual files may not be larger than 10 MB. Video files must be made available through an online portal such as Vimeo or YouTube. If access to these videos is password protected, note the password in the application.
For further information, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or T +49 441 235-3194
email@example.com or T +49 441 235-2449
2019 | Kim Schön | Mario Pfeifer | Viktor Brim
Jury: Nav Haq, Edit Molnár, Marcel Schwierin, Monika Szewczyk
2018 | Petra Bauer | Zach Blas | Daniel Jacoby
Jury: Charles Esche, Edit Molnár, Marcel Schwierin, Joanna Sokołowska
2017 | Noor Afshan Mirza/Brad Butler | Stefan Panhans | Shirin Sabahi
Jury: Bassam El Baroni, Edit Molnár, Stefanie Schulte Strathaus, Marcel Schwierin
2016 | Doireann O'Malley | Zorka Wollny | Amir Yatziv
Jury: Sebastian Cichocki, Galit Eilat, Edit Molnár, Marcel Schwierin
2015 | Mahmoud Khaled | Szabolcs KissPál | Anette Rose
Jury: Inke Arns, Nataša Ilic, Edit Molnár, Marcel Schwierin
2007 | Jens Brand | Ellen Fellmann | Eddo Stern
Jury: Sabine Himmelsbach, Tom Holley, Christina Kubisch, Björn Melhus
2006 | Annina Rüst | Corinna Schnitt | ubermorgen.com
Jury: Susanne Binas-Preisendörfer, Michael Connor, Sabine Himmelsbach, Karin Ohlenschläger
2005 | Amie Siegel
Jury: Sabine Himmelsbach, Jan Schuijren, Paula von Sydow, Susanne Weirich
2002 | Johan Grimonprez | Dagmar Keller/Martin Wittwer | Florian Zeyfang
Jury: Rosanne Altstatt, Christoph Blase, Josephine Bosma, Linda Anne Engelhardt, Christoph Keller, Sarah Cook, Jens Thiele, Susanne Weirich
2001 | Susanne Weirich